Our Savior

Saturday, March 19, 2016

Mother of Many

The blessings of being a mother of many! I remember as a young child being very intrigued with the "Old Woman Who Lived in a Shoe".

 When I was maybe 9 or so, I recall my parents bringing me to I think the World's Fair.  The only thing I remember out of the entire trip was a very, very large cement shoe depicting this very lucky "Old Woman" and lots of kids peaking out everywhere. I wondered how it would be to live in a large shoe with many children.

I also played with my many dolls as a child.  I pretended to be a momma of many.  That was one of my favorite things to play.  We also lived right next to two very large families.  On our left was a family of nine children and across the street a family of eight children.  I was very interested in their lives of many children.  Now looking back, God sure was setting me up for something!

I was married at the age of 21 to my High School Sweetheart.  In June we will be married 33 years and have nine children.  Our children's ages are
31, 30, 26, 22, 20, 19, 17, 15 and 11 (plus a couple miscarriages).  I also have 5 grandchildren (one is in heaven).  We're just getting started in that department!

At the beginning of our marriage, I would have to say I was very "worldly".  As a matter of fact I almost fell for satan's trickery... to have little to no children.  Well, I knew I wanted some children, but after three I started to think I was done.  After all, that's all my friend's were going to have.  It is interesting, however, that our starter home was right across the street from a family of 13 children.  Ahh, God kept it up!  Really though, the "world" was pulling me away from what God had planned for me all along.

I thank God and... my mother.  She started bringing me materials on the true teachings of the Catholic faith on birth control and being open to God when it comes to our fertility.

We took some "flack" from some family members, acquintances and friends, but they were to no avail.  Thank God.  It is absolutely the best decision that Nick and I have ever made.

Today, I picked up my youngest from a sleep-over birthday party.  I was talking to the young mother's brother-in-law and I saw a child's gate at the opening of the stairway.  I said to him "Oh, they must have a little one?"  He replied, "Oh no, that's for the dog.  She's not having anymore children."

Later I asked Brooke how many kids they have and she said... two.  Maybe she just can't have any more, but sadly it is usually that people just don't want any more.  It makes me a little sad for them.  Oh, what they are missing!

"Lo, children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb a reward.  Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the sons of one's youth.

Happy is the man who has a quiver full of them!  He shall not be put to shame when he speaks with his enemies in the gate." 
(Psalms 126:3-4)

Ahh, the little babies and children... what a blessing they truly are!  No matter what their age, they are a gift that keeps on giving!

 Believe me... I speak from experience!

Thank You God

No comments:

Post a Comment