Our Savior

Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Do Not Judge

Back in August, 2014, I felt I received a good lesson in being judgmental.  I have to say, I've never thought myself to be a judgmental person. I try to be tolerant of everyone, kind and thoughtful.  However, no matter how hard we try, to never judge anyone is not easy.  Many times we don't even know we are doing it.  Many times our judgments are based only on appearances.  We know nothing of this person we see on the street, but we silently judge them by their looks.  If we're being truthful with ourselves we know this to be true.

Back on that day in August, I would have to say,  I ran into three angels at Wal-Mart!  I may be wrong, but the circumstances of this day was strange, to say the least.

First in the Jewlry Dept.  I was looking at rings that were on sale for $8.88, when a lady approached the jewlry counter looking for help.  The manager walked by swiftly and said that he would get someone.  She complained loudly of his attitude then while talking straight to me said,  "Maybe that's just his personality.  Never judge!  Never judge!" I was a little perplexed by this.  Why was she directing this to me?  I've never seen her before in my life!  Did I look like a judgmental person?  Was she judging me?  When the employee arrives to help her, she asks for magnetic tongue rings.  I couldn't help but hear and well, maybe judge... just a little.

She was dressed pretty wild with a wild hairdo piled on top of her head.  I kept trying to just mind my own business, but she continued talking to me non-stop.  Finally, I left that area and figured I could come back later when she was gone.  
So, off I went to get cat food.  There were two ladies blocking the isle.  One very heavy and the other with the pinkest hair I have ever seen!  The heavy lady said cheerfully... "Oh hello!" This stranger acted as if we've known each other for years!  I said hello and stood there for a second waiting for them to let me through.  They didn't, they continued talking to each other like I wasn't there.  How rude, right?  That's what I thought so I went down the next isle and entered by the other end and uncomfortably picked out my cat food, not wanting to inadvertently hear their conversation and stare especially at that pink hair!

So, next I leave for Goodwill to look at books.  Immediately I found myself a couple books that intrigued me.  Upon arriving at the counter a customer, an old lady holding puzzles piled high said, "Oh my, you will love the Guidepost book!  Those books are wonderful!"  "Oh really!  Good." I replied.  She smiled a toothless smile.  I smiled back.

Upon arriving home I opened my newly bought Guidepost book randomly to page 69, entitled "Not By Chance or Happenstance".  It read as follows:

Into our lives comes many things to break the dull routine,
The things we had not planned on that happen unforeseen,
The unexpected little Joys that are scattered on our way,
Success we did not count on or a rare, fulfilling day,
A catchy, lifting melody that makes us want to dance,
A nameless exaltation of enchantment or romance,
An unsought word of kindness a compliment or two,
That sets the eyes to gleaming like crystal drops of dew,
The unplanned sudden meeting that comes with sweet surprise,
And lights the heart with happiness like a rainbow in the skies,
Now, some folks call it fickle fate, and some folks call it chance,
While others just accept it as a pleasant Happenstance,
But, not matter what you call it, it didn't come without design,
For all our lives are fashioned by the Hand That Is Divine,
And every happy happening and every lucky break,
Are little gifts from God above that are ours to freely take.

I began to really wonder about the weird happenings at Wal-Mart.  Later that day, I felt led to click into a Neville Johnson video and the video popped up on my screen with the words boldly written, "Never Judge!"  Now, I didn't purposely pick that video, it just popped up.  The entire video was about judging others.  It made me think... Did I judge those people I ran into today on their appearances?  Is someone trying to tell me something?   Is it really any excuse to say... hey,  we're actually born that way?

I once saw a documentary how studies have shown that little babies being shown different faces, reacted differently according to the facial features.  Some were good reactions and others not so good all according to the facial dimensions and their semetry.  Very interesting, however, I think God wants us to mature past our infancy.

This was a very strange day indeed.  However, I have found a difference in myself every since that day... I am very careful to not judge anyone. Or, at least I thought I was careful.  Just this past weekend I met a person that I did not know, but Nick did.  At first he scared me.  A scruffy face, missing teeth, unkempt clothing.  I sensed in my spirit... Don't worry he's a good person.  Later I asked Nick about him and he said he's a good guy.  He wouldn't hurt a fly.  Now, I'm not saying that especially now in this day and hour we should not be careful of strangers, but at the same time we should not immediately judge upon first impressions.  I have to admit that's exactly what I did.  Later in the day, I sensed the Lord say... "Not every beautiful person on the outside is the same within.  I see within a person and it's not always pretty.  Beauty is only skin deep, true beauty comes from within, the heart and soul."  Now, I know we've all heard that before, but do we really let it sink in?

The jury is back, the verdict is in... I'm guilty.
Now, I'm not saying that we need to approve of everything no matter how inappropriate, but their is a point, a message that I sense those from another realm were trying to bring across to me and they had to be pretty radical for me to see.

Quoting from the poem above... "Success we did not count on, or a rare fulfilling day."  For me, it most certainly was a rare day.  And if God got through this thick skull of mine anything... it truly is a success.  It's comforting to know that our lives are fashioned by the Hand That Is Divine, because, without His guiding Hand we're all in deep trouble.  At least, I know I am.

In the confessional being judgmental is always on my list, just in case I judged... even without knowing it.

"Bless me Father, for I have sinned..."


No comments:

Post a Comment