Our Savior

Sunday, September 9, 2018

Do Not Boast

We must not boast for having cast out devils, nor be proud for healings, nor must we admire only him who casts out devils and make naught of him who does not.  But let a man study the strict living of each, and either copy or match it, or else better it.  For to work signs is not ours.  That is the Savior's doing.  Se He said to the disciples, "Rejoice not because the devils are subject to you, but because your names are written in Heaven."
Luke 10:20
St. Antony of the Desert, by St. Athanasius


Around 6 to 8 years ago, I had taken my daughter to the chiropractor.  This chiropractor was a holy man and was very involved in the church.  Other than just knowing how close to God he was and that he was a very good chiropractor, I knew not much more.

What struck me was as he was working on my daughter's back, he looked at me and said these words...

"We must never boast!  All glory for everything is God's only.  I have the gift of speaking tongues, however I never boast.  Never boast!"

That was it.  He went on with his work.

I am a quiet and private person.  I don't go about boasting.

So, I truly had no idea why he spoke those words to me...

However, those words have never left my heart.

Do Not Boast!

No comments:

Post a Comment